LANAP (Laser Surgery) Procedure
Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure, or LANAP (as it more commonly called), is revolutionizing today’s treatment of periodontal disease. Dr. Schenkman is proud to offer the very latest in treatment options, especially when it provides such outstanding benefits for his patients. With LANAP, it is now possible to treat gum disease with virtually no pain, swelling or bleeding.
Fear of the discomfort associated with more traditional methods for treatment keeps many of the almost 66% of Americans who have some type of gum disease from seeking treatment. LANAP enables treatment that is just as effective and even more beneficial for the patient in terms of healing times and results. Also, laser treatment is usually less expensive than comparable treatment with more invasive cut-and-stitch methods.
The LANAP Proccess:
- Laser treatment is usually completed over two two-hour visits to our office. (Traditional surgery requires four sessions of about one hour each, with subsequent visits for removing sutures.)
- The light emitted by a fiber-optic tip selectively removes harmful bacteria and diseased tissue from the pocket by physically interacting with the bacteria and killing it by the absorption of laser energy.
- Ultrasonic scalers as small as the laser are inserted into the pocket and use sound waves to break up hardened tarter and other debris from the surface of the tooth.
- The laser is then inserted once more to remove any remaining diseased tissue at the bottom of the pocket. This last pass of the laser sterilizes the tissues and prepares the root surface to enable healthy gum attachment and aids in sealing the pocket closed.
- The recovery is virtually pain-free and bloodless. Most of our patients find their recovery period to be less than 24 hours, so time from work is not lost.
If you recently have been told that you have gum disease and need periodontal surgery, there is an alternative. Call our office to schedule a consultation and learn more about LANAP and if this solution is right for you.